Welcome to the MCCOGS Website!
The Montgomery County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society website is designed to allow our members to engage with each other as they trace their ancestors, find information to enter in their family trees (RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree, FamilySearch.org, Ancestry etc.), and discover their family histories. We want to make this site a dynamic experience where members can share with and learn from one another. Here are just a few ways to engage on this site today:
These are difficult times for all of us. The Montgomery County Chapter of OGS’s Executive Board made the decision that it was in the best interest of our members to cancel our General Meeting on March 14th. This was based upon the guidance presented by state authorities. Notification of the cancellation was sent via email to all of our members.
Since then, the Dayton Metro Library has closed the library to all group programs until April 15th. That means our Executive Board Meeting scheduled for April 6th and our General Meeting scheduled for April 11th are also cancelled.
It is our hope that we will be able to reschedule both Amie Bowser Tennant’s talk on Genealogist Turns Private Eye: Tips for Finding Living Relatives and Angie Hoschouer’s talk on Revolutionary Soldiers in Woodland Cemetery, either later this year or next year. The bonus meeting regarding Cleaning Tombstones by Carole Medlar and Ken Binzer will be held once we are able to resume meetings. Our Program Committee has been in the process of arranging some field trips for our group. Those will be put on hold at this time.
The following is a list of genealogy meetings or events that have been either cancelled or postponed. As we become aware of others, we will add them to the list.
It is my hope and prayer that all of you and your families are safe. And, if we have to stay home, we might as well work on our genealogy!
Terry Anne Nicholson, President
Meetings or Events: Cancelled or Postponed
This is a list of Genealogy Meetings or Events that have been cancelled or postponed. These are only the ones that we know about. If you are planning to attend an event that is not listed, please check with the organization holding the event. We will add to this list as we hear from other groups.
- Montgomery County Chapter of OGS, March 14th meeting CANCELLED
- Montgomery County Chapter of OGS - March 23rd DIG meeting CANCELLED
- Montgomery County Chapter of OGS - April 11th meeting CANCELLED
- NEW: Family History Jamboree - April 25th at LDS Church CANCELLED
- OGS 2020 Conference - April 29 to May 2 CANCELLED
- Roots Magic Meetings this Spring - CANCELLED until further notice
- Routes to Roots, Piqua, Miami County - March 28th POSTPONED UNTIL SUMMER
- Warren County Genealogy Society - March 18th meeting CANCELLED
New Cemetery Book Available!
The Montgomery County Chapter OGS is excited to announce that the remaining cemeteries in German Township, Montgomery County, Ohio have been read and published in our new book -- Volume VIII German Township except Germantown Union Cemetery. The book is available for $10.00 plus tax. Shipping and handling fees apply if the book is mailed. You can use this convenient order form, which also lists other publications that are available.
- Educational monthly meetings, annual picnic, holiday party and fieldtrips.
- Subscription to the monthly Family Tree Newsletter including access to archived issues.
- Access to the Society's Members Only Section of the Website.
- Participation in the Surname Exchange List.
- Inclusion on the Society's Membership Email List.
- Discount on registration to the Society's Annual Seminar
Not a Member - Join Now with Online Join!
We invite you to join the Montgomery County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society.
To Join Online:
Use our convenient Online Join. With Online Join, you can enter your membership information (name, address, email, etc.) on our secure website. When you finish entering your membership information, you have three options for paying:
Option 1: Pay with a credit card.
Option 2: Pay with a PayPal account.
Option 3: Print out the invoice (Market Order) and mail the form along with a check.
Click ONLINE JOIN
to join or go to ONLINE JOIN at the bottom of the Menu Bar to your left.
To Join by Mail:
If you prefer, you may join by printing the Membership Application form,
Fill out the form and mail it with your check to the Chapter's P.O. Box shown on the form.