DIG - DNA Interest Group
MCC-OGS's DIG - DNA Interest Group is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about DNA and how to use this tool for genealogical research. We are a group of people who share a common interest in DNA and genealogy and enjoy learning and helping each other.
It is a great time to purchase a DNA test kit. Holiday Sales have already begun and the testing companys are offering great deals. The five best known testing companys are listed below. Click on the link and visit their website to view their holiday sale.
No DIG Meeting in November or December
Our DIG Group meets at 1:00 p.m. on the 4th Monday of the month in the Community Room of BarryStaff, 230 Webster Street, Dayton, Ohio (One block east of Fifth-Third Baseball Field).
Join our FACEBOOK Group - DIG - DNA Interest Group of Montgomery County OGS
A place to share the latest news regarding DNA testing, share tips or ask a question. We learn from each other!
ISOGG - International Society of Genetic Genealogy
- Mission - Advocate for and educate about the use of genetics as a tool for genealogical research while promoting a supportive network for genetic genealogists.
There are no dues or fees to join. Their 2018 Award Winning ISOGG Wiki is a great place to start.
Five Main Testing Companies for Genetic Genealogy:
Ancestry - An Autosomal DNA test that provides DNA matches and ethnicity. Largest database of DNA testers.
23 & Me - An Autosomal DNA test that provides DNA matches, ethnicity, and health information for an additional fee
FamilyTreeDNA - Three types of DNA tests, Family Finder (autosomal) with a chromosomal browser, Mitochondrial dna (Maternal Line)and Ydna (Paternal Line)
My Heritage - An Autosomal DNA test that provides DNA matches, chromosomal browser and ethnicity
Living Dna - Ethnicity, beginning to provide DNA matches, focus on British Isles and Europe
Other DNA Resources:
- A resource for adoptees using DNA to find birth parents
- A free website that allows one to upload their autosomal dna results. The results can be compared to others who have uploaded their results regardless of the company with which they tested. Additional, optional tools available for a small monthly fee.
Shared cM Tool
- Allows one to estimate possible relationship with a match based on the amount of shared cM.
Regional DNA Interest Groups:
- Southwest Ohio DNA Interest Group meets bi-monthly 7:00pm to 8:45 at the MidPoint Library in West Chester. Check their website for more information.
Central Ohio DNA Interest Group
- Meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the Columbus Main Library, 96 S. Grant Ave. Check their website for more information.